A map of Great War positions on the Eastern Front in the Austrian province of Galicia and the Russian governate of Volhynia during August and September of 1915, from a contemporary Austrian imperial military map. The map shows eastern Galicia, most of Volynhia, and a portion of Podolia, all of which would be upturned politically by the end of the war. On the map, the German and Austro-Hungarian armies (in blue) are pushing back the Russian imperial army (in red) from positions it had gained in 1914. The advance is shown in three steps over seven days, as Russian forces are dislodged from the Dniester River and back toward the eastern border of Galicia. Through new military methods, the Russian army would return to these areas in 1916. This map copy is from the WIG Map Archive.