A black-and-white map of the western (European) provinces of the Russian Empire in 1809, with portions of Austrian Galicia, Bukovina, Hungary, and the Duchy of Warsaw. A notable feature of the map is the depiction of the district of Tarnopol as a Russian territory, following the Treaty of Schönbrunn in 1809. From related documents, the original map was apparently designed by a French cartographer for the Russian imperial maps authority in St. Petersburg. Major towns and rivers are indicated along with selected topographic features; within the Russian provinces, smaller political boundaries are also drawn. Within Galicia, only major cities and rivers, and selected border towns are shown. Original copy of this map preserved by the National Library of Russia in Saint Petersburg; digital copy sourced by Tony Kahane.