Partial field sketch of the town of Stryj (Стрий, Stryi, Stryy, Stryje), from 1851. Originally sketched in the field on 68 quarter-sheets at irregular scales and orientations, the center portion was assembled here from small sections, stretched and aligned to persistent features in a modern satellite image; few features were available outside the town center. In addition to the market square, the map shows large manor grounds and buildings, large and small churches and parish lands, a large central synagogue and Jewish community buildings, a Jewish cemetery, and an interesting water supply system in the town center. The map shows house numbers written on building and land plots, enabling direct discovery of family houses from vital and other records. This historic paper map is preserved by the Central State Historical Archives of Ukraine in Lviv (TsDIAL).